Thursday, May 8, 2008

2nd season in the Square Foot Garden

Weather: raining, 59 dgrs right now, high of 63, low of 43.

Yesterday DH and I went to Bennett's to get the plants for the garden. Since we didn't get back till kinda late and it is/was raining, they still need to be planted. I missed the planting for cool season this time, but perhaps I will try in the Fall.

I tried to buy with a mind of what happened last year and what I think DH and I will eat, and what will be good for canning--a first this year! I got a bunch of jars from the neighbor down the street! I am excited to give home canned gifts-but also a nervous. Considering our money situation, I would really like to maximize our benefit from the garden this year. Ok, back to the garden..

  • I did NOT get any zucchini or yellow squash--we couldn't keep up with it last year.
  • I made a more informed decision about the tomato varieties I chose. Last year the big beef steak kinds didn't do well--lots of cracks and deformities--which means I didn't water well, I think. I also realized last year that I am the only one around here that will eat slices of tomatoes. So, I stuck with the roma and grape kinds.
  • I did not get a jalapeno this year because we barely used any last year although the plant was very prolific. However, DH talked me into a red chili plant. I don't want to discourage input!!
  • I did not try another tomatillo this time since it did so terrible last year--very spindly and no fruit. Although I haven't totally given up on it
  • I did not get as many herbs this time--just basil. Basil was what we used most. I would love to get more into herbs in the future, but I know I won't dedicate enough time this season.
  • I got a ton more strawberry plants. I LOVE strawberries! I could eat them everyday, so this must be a good idea :)
  • I got more onions this time too. I need to remember to thin them or space them correctly. The label said they would keep for 8 months. I was really surprised the first time I ate a home grown onion---SOO much flavor. Maybe I could can some cocktail onions sometime.
  • I got less bell pepper plants
  • I am definitely giving cantaloupe another shot--that was so exciting last year to see them on the vine AND I could eat that every day too.
  • I am trying beans this year. I suddenly found out a few weeks ago that DH "loves" lima beans. Who knew? Also, canning green beans sounds like a good idea
  • Last year my cucumber plant didn't make it due to some unfortunate pruning by dear sweet Elfie. Hopefully they survive this year and I can make some awesome pickles.
  • I am trying some celosia again. Last year they puttered out. I'm not sure why other than maybe they got shaded out.
  • I got a variety of Zinnias that say they are like dahlias and are good for cutting. I hope I do better in the flower cutting this year. I didn't get tall enough stuff last year. Except for the cleome that was absolutely giant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home