Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Planted the Garden!!


On the lovely morning of the 12th of May, I planted my garden. I was up and out in the yard by 8:00am, determined to get things in order before heading to work. It really was a beautiful morning and not as chilly as I was afraid it would be. Last Fall I had put a layer of leaves on the soil for mulch. I am not entirely sure this was a wise thing to do, but it seemed right at the time. The strawberry plant and chives that came back seem to be thriving, so in the very least it didn't hurt anything. I started by removing the leaves so that I could work the soil a bit; get things loosened up. I was impressed with how workable the soil seemed to be. It really was a great texture. I saw earthworms in both boxes although the second box seemed to have more. There was one grub in box 2. I also pulled just a few little weed seedlings out; nothing to be concerned about. I added one bag of mushroom compost soil to each box. This also really wasn't an informed decision, just seemed like I should add some compost. Like I said in my wish list, I would like to get a soil testing kit. Hopefully I can get to one closer than the extension office in Lafayette.

Of course, I did not exactly follow my plan. Here is how it ended up:





I have not planted the bean seeds yet because as far as I can tell the weather needs to be a little warmer at night. One website said 55 degrees for the lima beans, another said at least 50 degrees for the slenderettes.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home